The oldest mosque in Gaza City, Al-Omari Mosque is located in the center of Old Gaza near the old market. It covers an area of ??4100 square meters and a building area of ??1190 square meters. It has 38 columns of beautiful and solid marble, which reflects the splendor of the ancient architecture in Gaza City.
Originally, the Great Mosque was a church established by the Byzantine Queen Eudocia. When Gaza was liberated in the days of the Caliph Omar ibn al-Khattab, this church became a mosque, and a mihrab and minbar were erected there.
It is called the Omari - Mosque after the Caliph Omar, and the Great Mosque because it is the largest mosque in Gaza.