Al-Aqsa University started in 1955 as "a teachers institute" under the Egyptian government administration. It targeted at that time to prepare and qualify teachers.
In 1991, it underwent development to become a college known as "Governmental College of Education." The college since then grew gradually in its educational plans, scientific departments, teachers and students to graduate a lot of teachers and researcher of high qualification holding Bachelor, license and Doctorates degrees from the postgraduate joint program with Ain Shams University. By the beginning of 2001/2000, the college has been transferred to Al-Aqsa University.